Bring out your rolling pin and favorite cookie cutters to make these appealing shapes, including classic gingerbread people.
Here are the quintessential holiday cutout cookies, from gingerbread people to crisp, golden butter cookies, baked in any shape you choose. You'll also find sandwich cookies, cookies with nuts and other flavorings, and cutouts with special decorations ― all as much fun to make as they are to eat.
• Flour both the work surface and the rolling pin lightly but thoroughly. As you roll out dough, occasionally turn or shift it slightly to be sure it's not sticking.
• If the dough becomes sticky as you work, chill it until firm but still pliable.
• For cookies with well-defined edges, use lightly floured, sharp metal cookie cutters.
• Place sheets of waxed paper between layers of decorated cookies to store.
• Host a cookie decorating party: Bake a variety of cutout cookies and offer guests bowls of different colored icing, an assortment of candy sprinkles, and plastic bags for piping icing.